- This event has passed.
Downtown St. Pete Walking Tour – w/Monica Kile & I Love the Burg
April 22 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
See the Burg through new eyes as Monica details the evolution of the city from sleepy fishing village to world class cultural destination. This tour will reveal history hiding in plain sight, like the first fire station, repurposed into hip restaurants and a coffee shop. You’ll see how a funeral home from the city’s era as God’s Waiting Room has been resurrected as a trendy steakhouse. We’ll see the most beautiful building in the city and the oldest one too, whose architecture was influenced by our unlikely Russian origins. You’ll hear stories of Civil Rights heroes, real estate hustlers, and the characters that shaped St. Pete, making it the most dynamic city in Florida. You’ll also:
- Discover how St. Pete dodged an urban-design disaster in the late 80s, and how hyper-local blogs and businesses contributed to our recent renaissance
- Learn how St. Pete’s reputation as a haven for old people doomed it to the doldrums, but then perhaps led to its renaissance.
- See how local architectural styles were adapted to the Florida climate
- Understand why seasonal swells in population affected our urban design
- Explore the transformation of the city’s food scene from cafeterias to craft brews
- And more….
Monica’s exhaustive knowledge of St. Pete history, paired with her passionate delivery, have made her a popular tour guide and speaker for more than 15 years. She holds a Master’s Degree in Florida Studies and the faded eyesight of someone who has spent far too many years examining old newspapers.
This tour starts at 10:00am and will last two hours and cover two miles of flat terrain. We’ll provide a bottle of water and a free cup of Kahwa Coffee either before or after the tour. Tickets are $25 per person and limited to 25 attendees per tour time. Starting location is Kahwa Coffee at 2nd Street and 2nd Avenue South.