The Sunshine City is home to historic and chic new hotels. From the pink palace that is The Vinoy Renaissance, to the new Hyatt off Central Avenue, and the Hampton Inn on Beach Drive, there are ample spots to choose from when visiting the ‘Burg. The Indigo, with its once distinct paint job, and location just steps away from the Sundial, has been a part of the area for nearly a century.
The former hotel is now painted white, and its sign removed as the hotel is currently for sale exclusively through Berkadia Hotels & Hospitality.
“Berkadia’s Hotels & Hospitality Group is pleased to exclusively offer the opportunity to acquire the Hotel Indigo St. Petersburg Downtown (the “Property” or “Hotel”), a 76-key Hotel located in the heart downtown St. Petersburg, FL.” the company notes on the listing. “The Hotel is footsteps from Beach Drive and Central Avenue, both of which are filled with restaurants, high-end boutiques, and million-dollar-plus condominiums. The immediate area is experiencing over $750 million in current development projects, including the July 2020 opening of the $92 million New St. Pete Pier.”
The Indigo was built in 1926 and offers 2,200-square-feet of meeting space.
“Unencumbered by both brand and management, the Hotel is essentially a blank slate where a new owner may either retain IHG branding, affiliate with another leading franchise, or implement a more boutique soft branding,” Berkadia writes on its website. “Additionally, the 0.95-acre Property’s Downtown Center (DC-1) zoning allows for an intense mix of uses within a potential redevelopment.”
The former Hotel Indigo property is located at 234 3rd Avenue North.
Charles and Elizabeth Helt purchased the hotel in 1928 and ran a 13-room seasonal resort for winter visitors. Renovations and additions in the 1930s and 1980s added approximately 60 rooms, each slightly different from the next, and expanded the lobby to include a fire place, antiques, glass bricks, and French doors that open onto the front porch.
The Hotel Indigo arrived in the ‘Burg in 2008-09, a conversion from the Heritage Hotel.